Engine Fundamentals is covered in the Caterpillar online course called Technicians for Africa. This module explains all the major components of an engine and also provides detailed information about how a four stroke engine works.
As a technician, it’s vital that you know how an engine’s durability, reliability and productivity are impacted by service and maintenance. While this course is also well-suited for students by introducing learners to Caterpillar basic diesel engine theory and service procedures, it is also well-suited to technicians who have been in the industry for years. Some of the topics that are discussed include principles of compression ignited internal combustion engines as well as variations in design.
Upon completion of the module, students will be able to:
• Identify the wide range of engines in the Cat® Product Line
• Identify various diesel engine applications
• Explain basic diesel engine theory
• Define engine performance terms
• Identify basic diesel engine components and their function
• Describe the following engine systems:
• Air intake and exhaust systems
• Lubrication system
• Cooling system
• Fuel system and governor
• Demonstrate the ability to disassemble and inspect a Cat 3406 diesel engine with a mechanical governor
• Demonstrate the ability to reassemble and perform necessary adjustments on a Cat 3406 diesel engine with a mechanical governor
• Explain the operation of the Cat Sleeve Metering Fuel System
• Explain the operation of the Cat 3116/26 Mechanical Unit Injector Fuel System
You can register for the course online and even view a sample of what the course has to offer on the Caterpillar University website. If you require any further information and advice, contact us today.