It’s a competitive world out there and when you’re starting out or new in your career, it’s tough to get to the top. It goes without saying that in a technical career, you will need to have had some training – either at a tertiary institution or training college, or you may have trained on the job through an apprenticeship scheme.
Career advisors and guidance counsellors will give you the same advice when seeking to position yourself for the ideal job:
- Create a clear goal of what you want to achieve and where you want to be, in a specific timeframe.
- Find a mentor for advice, possibly someone in a position that you aspire to be in one day.
- Get the best qualification and experience you can and try to stay current with new industry trends
- Network constantly – By meeting and maintaining business relationships with the right people.
- Do something which sets you apart from everyone else.
It’s this final point that should resonate with you most. When you’re fresh out of college, you’re one of many people in the same place, with the same qualification and the same goal: to get a job. Doing something extra to make you stand out is the secret to getting noticed, which will enable you to grab an opportunity.
Try the online course sponsored by Caterpillar to give you the edge
This amazing course has been designed especially for those with a career as a service technician in mind. It is an extremely easy way to access niche training in the mining, construction and resources industries and could also offer career opportunities with Caterpillar.
The free online course can be completed at your own pace, to fit into your available time and by completing the course, you will have learned the basics of electricity, hydraulics, drivetrains and much more. Upon completion, you will be awarded a Foundation Certification.
What better way to stand out in a crowd than by showing your skill and knowledge? Check out the Technicians for Africa programme today.